Synology Hyper Backup
Learn how to use Synology Hyper Backup to store backups on the ScPrime distributed datacenter using the XNS Relayer
Synology Hyper Backup is package for Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) that allows you to back up folders, system settings, and software packages from your Synology NAS to a wide range of destinations, while saving space with compression and deduplication. Hyper Backup is compatible with S3 protocol destinations, so it makes a good match for XNS storage.
Read this guide for how to configure Hyper Backup to backup to XNS.
- Install the Hyper Backup package on Synology DSM
- Have or configure a Shared Folder with the desired backup scope configured on Synology DSM
- Install the XNS Relayer
- Configure the XNS Relayer’s Endpoint Access Key and Endpoint Secret Key
- Hyper Backup only supports backup of Synology Data backup tasks (e.g., Synology DSM Shared Folders, Packages, DSM system configuration). Synology LUN backup tasks are not compatible with S3 protocol destinations.
- Curation of data in Shared Folders is the primary method of backup scoping. The Hyper Backup setup wizard will also allow additional backup scoping by explicitly include and exclude files in the selected Shared Folder based on file names and extensions.
- Hyper Backup requires inclusion of system configuration with all backup tasks.
Application Version Used in Guide
Synology Hyper Backup 3.0.2-2531
Guide Revision Date
Step 1: Open Synology Hyper Backup
Use the Main Menu of Synology DSM to open Hyper Backup.
Step 2: Start the Data backup task setup wizard
Click on the Create (+) button in the top left of the Hyper Backup window and select Data backup task.
Step 3: Select Backup Destination
Select S3 Storage as your backup destination. Then click Next.
Step 4: Enter Backup Destination Settings
Configure your Backup Destination so that Hyper Backup can communicate with the XNS Relayer. Then click Next.
|S3 Server:||Custom Server URL|
|Server address:||[Your IP]:[MinIO Port]||This is the IP or hostname of your XNS Relayer and the port defined in the Advanced Settings (‘MINIO_PORT’, default is 9000).|
|Signature Version:||v4||This setting is mandatory as ‘v4’.|
|Request Style:||Virtual Hosted-Style||Virtual Hosted-Style is the recommended long-term Request Style for S3.|
|Access Key:||[Endpoint Access Key (Username)]||This is defined in the XNS Relayer General Configuration.|
|Secrey Key:||Endpoint Secret Key (Password)||This is defined in the XNS Relayer General Configuration.|
|Bucket name:||[Your Bucket]||Create a bucket name in Hyper Backup or use an existing one on the XNS Relayer.|
|Directory:||[Your Directory]||Create a directory under the bucket for this backup task.|
Step 5: Select Shared Folders to backup
Click the check boxes by Shared Folder and Storage Volume to select the data that will be backed up. Please note that the files backed up can be additionally filtered by clicking Create file filters.
A screen will open that will allow you to define file names or extensions of files that should be included or excluded from the backup task. Click OK to save the filter settings then click Next.
Step 6: Select Synology Applications to backup
Click the check boxes by Application to be backed up. Then click Next.
Step 7: Configure Backup Settings
Name your backup task and configure it per your requirements. Then click Next.
Step 8: Configure Rotation Settings
Configure the backup task’s Rotation settings per your requirements. Then click Next.
Step 9: Test Your Backup Task
Click Yes when asked if you want to back up now.
Step 10: Backup Job Running
Monitor the backup job to ensure it is running.
Step 11: Backup Job Complete
Hyper Backup will indicate that the backup job has been successfully completed.